turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependent child

We lived in Indiana and moved to Texas.  Our daughter still maintains residency in Indiana and attends college there as well.  She filed her taxes as a single living in Indiana and did not declare she could be claimed as a dependent.  I was working on my taxes and removed her on my taxes but then ran into questions about my 529 withdrawal to pay for her schooling.   It appears I must declare her as a dependent. or order to not pay taxe on the withdrawal.  We still support her but she lives in Indiana.  I can answer questions about dependent status and get she is and she is not.  Does she have to amend her return?  Do I wait for her amended return to clear before I file electronically?   How do I not have to pay taxes for my withdrawal if the money went to pay for her education.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Dependent child

If all of the 529 withdrawal funds were used for qualifying education expenses, then you can choose not to include the 1099-Q on your tax return.  The IRS does not require you to file the 1099-Q.  It also says in the directions for the form that you do not have to enter it on your taxes.

But you do need to keep a copy of the 1099-Q and all of the financial records to show that the funds were used for your daughter's education expenses.  This is in case the IRS does question you about it at some point.

But, if you do enter the 1099-Q, in TT,  one of the first questions is who is the student. When you select  someone not listed here or a beneficiary that's not a dependent on this return (the wording varies), you will be given a screen to enter her expenses, including room and board.

IRS 1099-Q

Dependent child

So, I am not obligated to claim by daughter as a dependent based on her not being a resident of my household in Texas even though I support her?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Dependent child

No, you are not obligated to claim your daughter as your dependent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies