Solved: Deductions

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Deductions

Before I start going to all of the trouble of calculating my potential deductions what is the amount that I need before  they start to count.  I have no debt, no mortgage, maybe $7,000.00+ in Medical and Medical insurance.  My property taxes are about $6,000.00.  My wife and I are both in our 70's.  I have been told that if our deductions don't total over $22,000.00 or more that I don't needed to calculate them because I won't qualify for any.  Our income consist of about $36K from Social Security, $30K from forced IRA distribution and $60K from long term investment dividends and sales of long term shares of stock etc.  I hate to take my time adding up all my medical expenses, charitable contributions taxes if it not going to help. 

Is this something you can help me with.  I would rather be setting on the beach reading a book drinking a beer and living the good life and not looking at a bunch of old medical bills etc.  I got all the records it is just a royal pain to go them if I don't need to extra work.

Hope to hear from you soon and thanks for your help,

Bill W.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

Deductions

The total of all your itemized deductions on Schedule A must be greater than the standard deduction for your filing status to have any tax benefit.

Standard deductions for 2019

• Single - $12,200 add $1,650 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Separately - $12,200 add $1,300 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Jointly - $24,400 add $1,300 for each spouse age 65 or older
  • Head of Household - $18,350 add $1,650 if age 65 or older

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Level 15

Deductions

The total of all your itemized deductions on Schedule A must be greater than the standard deduction for your filing status to have any tax benefit.

Standard deductions for 2019

• Single - $12,200 add $1,650 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Separately - $12,200 add $1,300 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Jointly - $24,400 add $1,300 for each spouse age 65 or older
  • Head of Household - $18,350 add $1,650 if age 65 or older

View solution in original post

Level 2

Deductions

Thanks, you have made my life much easier.  There is no way that I have anywhere near the standard deductions so I won't be filing a Schedule A. 

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings