turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Returning Member

Deductions on w-4 form

I looked at my pay stub and was shocked at how much money was taken from my check. I was told that I cannot change exemptions on my W-4 form anymore. What can I do to reduce the amount  of taxes taken from my check? I have one daughter. Can I also claim myself as a dependent? What else can I include? I need help.

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

Deductions on w-4 form


The new W-4 does not claim your exemptions only.  The new W-4 is based on your income and the deductions for dependents by a deduction 

amount.  The W4 computes only Federal withholding and the SS and medicare taxes are a set amount always. A W-4 calculator is on the b oth the Intuit website and the irs.gov website.  I hope this helps you understand the tax withholding issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies