Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deductions and Medical Expenses

I’m about to submit an amended return for 2022 and Medical Expenses totaling $4,217 under the Deductions & Credits section. I went through all the possible medical deductions and didn’t see any expenses entered and got to the page where it says the standard deduction saves me more money. If I didn’t enter any medical expenses, where could the $4,217 have come from?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Did you buy health insurance from the Marketplace exchange? Or have to pay back the subsidy? If you went to an exchange for Health Insurance, and had to pay back some of the subsidy, part of the adjustment will flow to Schedule A.

If you get Social Security benefits the medicare deduction on your SSA-1099 will flow to Schedule A.  Any health insurance on your W2 might go to schedule A.  

Do you have self employment income?  Did you enter any self employed health insurance under schedule C? If you couldn't use it all there then the difference goes to schedule A.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The Deductions & Credits summary in TurboTax is not your tax return. if you are getting the standard deduction the medical expenses will not appear on your tax return, so it doesn't matter where it came from. Just ignore it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies