Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Max Lightsey
New Member

Deduction for bar membership

I want to find out how to deduct fees I paid for state bar membership for my law license. Can you help me find out where I enter this information? Thanks. 

2 Replies
Employee Tax Expert

Deduction for bar membership

If you are self-employed you would would report it with your business expenses on Schedule C.  If you are a W-2 employee, it is not deductible.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Opus 17
Level 15

Deduction for bar membership

You can't deduct the cost of education, training or certification to meet the minimum qualifications for your job, so if this was your first year, it's not deductible at all, even as a schedule C business expense.  You can deduct the costs of maintaining or improving your skills, so membership renewal would be a deductible expense.


None of these expenses are deductible on your federal return if you are an employee/paid on a W-2. 

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings