Solved: Deceased taxpayer(s) and Form 56

PnutKar

Deceased taxpayer(s) and Form 56

I completed entering my deceased parent's information into TTax 2019, tried to file, and received an error message (e-file rejected). My best option is now to print a hardcopy and mail in the return.

Now I find IRS Form 56!

If I read the instructions correctly, I need to file a separate Form 56 for my father, my mother, AND for the trust - all naming me as fiduciary as per the Certificate of Trust I hold:

1) Do I file three Form 56 as described (individually for each parent and the trust)?

2) Can Form 56 be mailed concurrent with the filing of the return, or even in the same envelope?

tagteam

Deceased taxpayer(s) and Form 56

You can file the notice concurrently with the return (Form 56 is filed with the same Internal Revenue Service Center where the return is filed).

Per Treas. Reg. §301.6903-1, you should file Form 56 whenever you are acting for another person in a fiduciary capacity, which would indicate separate forms for each party.

tagteam

Deceased taxpayer(s) and Form 56

PnutKar

Deceased taxpayer(s) and Form 56

Sounds logical. I'll place two copies of Form 56 in with the final joint 1040 return, and submit a separate mailing for the trust itself when I file the 1041.

Thanks for the rapid response!!