Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deceased daughters funds used to start a 529 College saving plan for her nephew, do we count the funds as in come? If so where in TurboTax do we claim it?

My daughter passed in February 2016. We closed her checking and saving accounts, and sold her car. We temporally held the proceeds in our savings account until we could used all of the funds to open the 529 College Savings Plan for her nephew.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

Deceased daughters funds used to start a 529 College saving plan for her nephew, do we count the funds as in come? If so where in TurboTax do we claim it?

The funds were not income to you just a cash inheritance, which is not taxable. 

There is no deduction on the Federal return for this but, if your state offers a 529 plan, you will be asked about contributions as you go through your state program and can make your entries there.

My condolences for your loss.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

The funds were not income to you just a cash inheritance, which is not taxable. 

There is no deduction on the Federal return for this but, if your state offers a 529 plan, you will be asked about contributions as you go through your state program and can make your entries there.

My condolences for your loss.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies