Shipdriver

Covid Relief Act Unemployment Income Deduction - Have not filed yet.

I am overseas and will be filing my 2020  Federal & California taxes when I return to the states in July.

I use Turbo Tax Desktop (or download).

My question is how do I properly report my unemployment wages to take advantage of the $10,200 deduction?

I recently called TT customer support twice. The only thing the same about both calls was that they had no clue and put me on hold for extended waits. On the first call I was told the software will be updated soon. On the second call I was told to manually under report the 1099G amount by $10,200.

So..If I can get an official answer from TT that would be great.

Mike9241

you report the taxable amount on the 1099-G. the Turbotax program will compute the allowable exclusion. just make sure the desktop is updated. i have the desktop version and it's updated to compute the exclusion.

Mike9241