Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lostkey

I was covered under my parents health plan. I did not receive a 1095-A but am listed on my parents' 1095-C. Do I just check NO for receiving a 1095-A?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChrisJ

I was covered under my parents health plan. I did not receive a 1095-A but am listed on my parents' 1095-C. Do I just check NO for receiving a 1095-A?

Correct. If you were not enrolled in a qualified health plan through the Marketplace and did not receive a 1095-A, you do not have a requirement to report details of your insurance plan on your tax return.

The 1095-B and 1095-C forms are for informational purposes only and should be safely kept in your records - they provide the evidence of your insurance coverage. 

When TurboTax asks 'Did you have health insurance?', you will simply answer 'yes' and indicate which months you were covered. 

View solution in original post

28 Replies
ChrisJ

Correct. If you were not enrolled in a qualified health plan through the Marketplace and did not receive a 1095-A, you do not have a requirement to report details of your insurance plan on your tax return.

The 1095-B and 1095-C forms are for informational purposes only and should be safely kept in your records - they provide the evidence of your insurance coverage. 

When TurboTax asks 'Did you have health insurance?', you will simply answer 'yes' and indicate which months you were covered. 

My son files separately. He is a "covered individual" in an ACA plan. My wife and I are the "recipients" and received a 1095-A. We will complete info in TurboTax indicating monthly premiums paid, etc. Does my son indicate that he did not receive a 1095-A since he wasn't the recipient and didn't pay the premiums? Or, must he also indicate he received a 1095-A. The standard "Learn more" explanations make it uncertain since my son does meet the criterion of being covered by the plan, but isn't the "recipient".

Yes, you should check NO for receiving a 1095-A.  In the initial interview questions you should have answered a question about whether you can be claimed or were claimed as someone else's dependent.  Since you would have indicated YES, the software will remember that answer later and it will know that you are exempt from the health care requirement anyway.  

@lostkey

Like the original post, I am no longer a dependent but I am on a family healthcare plan through Covered California via my parents. I didn't receive a 1095-A, but my name is on my parent's 1095-A. Do I need to be using my parent's form 3895 to complete my state tax return?

If you are on your parent's 1095-A, then you also report 1095-A on your tax return. You need to agree with your parents on what percent of the 1095-A your will be responsible for.  It can be 100% for them and 0% for you or whatever you both agree to.

Both you and your parent's will mark that you are on a 1095'A with another person who is not on the return.  You will need their social security numbers.  

The only requirement are that all parties agree to the percentages taken and that the percentages add up to 100%.

@ahovagim 

chago188
Returning Member

I was on my parent's marketplace insurance. I started working in August 2020 and had insurance through my employer. My parents forgot to remove me from their insurance. I filed my 2020 taxes as an independent for the first time. I received a letter from the IRS that I need to send them a copy of the 1092-A and form 8962.

My questions are:
What do I put in 8962 where it asks for "Tax family"?
How does the percentage allocation affect my tax return? ex: I claim 0%, parents 100%

chago188
Returning Member

In continuation to my previous comment:

3 people included myself were in the same marketplace health insurance last year.

If I put just 1 in my tax family size, my income ALONE is above 400% of the federal poverty line. Do I still fill out the rest of the form and do the percentage allocations?

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

Yes, you need to enter your parent's form 1095-A on your income tax return.  The form 1095-A is used by marketplace to report individuals insurance coverage which provides information about insurance policy, premiums, he cost of the insurance , and any advance payment of premium tax credit.  It will be reconciled on the individuals income tax return.  The insured individuals may claim Premium Tax Credit on Form 8962 if income was below the poverty line, if not, advance payment will be added to the tax liability.

TurboTax will ask you to enter a 1095-A.

• Under Deductions and Credits, jump to Medical, click show more.
  • Scroll down and choose, Affordable Care Act (form 1095-A).
  • click yes "Did you receive Form 1095-A in 2020?".
  • You'll enter the information from your parents' 1095-A.
  • The next screen will ask you about your health plan being shared, so check the box..
  •  Enter the social security number in box 5 (recipient's SSN) on your parents' 1095-A
  • Enter the starting month and ending month that you had the insuranceNow you'll be asked to enter percentages for Your Premium, Second lowest cost silver plan (SLCSP) and advanced payment.
  • You see the amounts on your parents’ 1095-A, column A, B, and C. To calculate the percentage, add the number of covered individuals on from 1095-A and divide it.  Example: Total covered individual are 4, so each individidual will get 25%..
kdng
Returning Member

Hi there, 

I'm in the same situation. So How did you filed the form 8962?

to put your parents claim 100% and 0% for yourself. The form 8962 doesn't show anywhere for me to claim that.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@kdng You need to enter the 1095-A in your return, even if you are allocating the premium 100% to your parent, if you were on their Health Plan. 

TurboTax will then create Form 8962 for you. 

Click this link for info on a Complex 1095-A Situation

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dsteiner1

Hi, so I have to fill out my 8962 on paper because I didn’t even know about it when I filed, I am also a new independent this year and have filed as such. I would like to know what to enter in the part 4 boxes e-g that would allocate 100% of the payments for myself and my parents to my parents. They agreed to take care of the payments, I just need to know what to do. Am I supposed to put zeros in for my social security number and do 0.50 for theirs so they split 50/50 or so I put all zeros?

Dsteiner1

So for those of us who have to file the 8962 on paper, what do we put in boxes e-g in part 4 so that we cover 0% since our parents agreed to cover 100%?

TurboTax does not give advice for filing the form 8962 on paper.  To prepare the 8962 in TurboTax, use your parent's 1095-A is you did not receive one and if you are not their dependent.

You will answer Yes, to the question about receiving a 1095-A

Then follow these steps:

• Federal
  • Deductions and Credits
  • Medical
  • Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A)

Fill in the first page exactly as it is on the 1095-A

The next page will say: Let us know if these situations apply to you

Check I shared this policy with another taxpayer who is not on my taxes

On the next page put in your parent's social security number
Use the social security number of the parent who is the main filer on the return

Use zero for your Premium Percentage, SLCP Percentage, and PTC Percentage

The IRS only requires that both of you agree on the percentage that you are claiming and that the percentages for each field add up to 100%.  Since your parents claimed 100%, you will claim zero and the percentages will be correct.

Form 1095-A is a form that is sent to Americans who obtain health insurance coverage through a Health Insurance Marketplace carrier. The form does not have to be returned to the government but serves as a record of the individual's coverage.

Celaine3

Hello @Dsteiner1 , I am in the EXACT same boat as you! How did you fill out the first page and have you been able to figure anything out for part 4? If so would you mind sharing?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies