Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Contribute in lump sum

Hi, If I need to contribute to my kid a lump sum payment ($50k) to help out with college expenses (4 years), is there any tax implication for me or him? Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Contribute in lump sum

No tax to pay (until you reach a ~$4M lifetime limit), but tax papers (Form 709) should be filed in most cases, by the giver, for amounts over $15,000 per year to any person . "In general. If you are a citizen or resident of the United States, you must file a gift tax return (whether or not any tax is ultimately due) in the following situations.

TomD8
Level 15

Contribute in lump sum

If you pay your child's tuition, and you pay it directly to the school, there is no need for any gift tax reporting.  The school must be a qualifying educational institution.

This exclusion applies to tuition only.  Gifts for any other purpose, such as room and board, must be reported if the amount exceeds $15000.

Also, the lifetime gift tax exclusion is now $11.4 million.  That means you don't actually have to pay a gift tax until your lifetime gifts exceed that total.  But you have to report gifts to an individual that exceed $15000.

Finally, gifts to an individual are not deductible by you, nor are they taxable to the recipient.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies