moyers0913

College Student Education Expenses (1098-T)

We're wondering why we could not claim our son's educational expenses for 2019 like we did for 2018, especially since our family income was not much different.

We just received my son's 1098-T from the University. For "Payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses" it shows $19,190.00 and for "Scholarships or grants" it shows $5445.00

In Turbo Tax, it asked for the Tuition/Grant amount, but not the expenses for 2019 like it did for 2018. At the end of the assessment TT stated "It turns out Nathan's Scholarship or Grant Counts as Income" and "There is no taxable income in your return."

Other Facts
1. Our return is Married Filing Jointly
2. 2019 was our son's 2nd year of full time University enrollment

3. He lived on the college campus for the 1st 5 months of 2019 and then spent the remaining 7 months living at home with my wife and I while he continued to take online courses at Penn State

Thank you again for any assistance,
Scott Moyer

Bsch4477

I did a test return and after going to Deductions/Credits > education >scholarships..... and answering the interview questions I was presented with the 1098-T form to enter tuition and scholarship amounts.  

Be sure you have answered all of the personal information correctly to claim him as a dependent.  This credit begins to phase out when AGI is over $160,000. 

Also be sure you are claiming the American Opportunity Credit. 

Rchen2000

I can't enter Ethan's college expenses even 1098 T available.  It is different from last year.

JotikaT2

The input is similar to last year.  

Go to the Federal section of the program.

Select "Deductions & Credits"

Select "Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T)" and click start

Education credit input

As you continue in the program, you will see the following:

Add a student

Once you confirm your student is entered, proceed to complete the following information:

1098-T input section

In order to claim the education credit, the person should be someone you are allowed to take the credit for. 

I have attached a link to the requirements for your reference to help you determine if this person is still considered a dependent for the Education credits.

Dependent qualifications