Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

friz
Returning Member

Child Tax Credit Zero Line 18 Incorrect

Hello,   My child tax credit is zero in line 19 in turbotax. (I read in another post that is because I had no earned income)  However, when I do Child Tax Credit form 972 myself I get 6000.  I have three kids who all qualify.   I have no earned income however I believe I qualify for the additional child tax credit form 8812 under part II certain files who have three or more qualifying children.   Form 8812 was not generated for me via turbotax.    I believe I can amend the tax return, manually enter 6000 (for three kids) on line 19 and file out the additional child tax credit to get the refundable 4200.   Has anyone had this situation where they had no earned income and still qualified for additional child tax credit?   Thanks very much!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If you have no earned income then you are not eligible for the Child Tax Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credit or the Earned Income Tax Credit.

If you had completed the worksheet for the Child Tax Credit correctly in IRS Publication 972 on pages 6 and 7 you would have seen that the amount on the worksheet for Lines 15 and 16 are 0 (zero) for the Child Tax Credit.

IRS Publication 972 Child Tax Credit and Credit for Other Dependents page 6 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p972.pdf#page=6

friz
Returning Member

Hello,  Thanks for taking the time to answer the post.  Yes number 15 is 0 however line 16 is 6000.  

I doubled checked the worksheet maybe you can see where the error is.  I had the following in part 1

1) 6000

2) 0

3) 6000

4) 802

5) 0

6) 802

7) 200,000

😎 0

9) 0

10 ) 6000

part 2

11) 0

12) 0

13) 0

14) 0

15) 0

16) 6000 yes answer

I do not file foreign earned income so all of these computations are very basic.    It seems like if you have no earned income turbo tax automatically put is 0 for child tax credit and does not account for the small percentage of files who have less then 2500 in earned income who can file additional tax credit.

If you can flag which exact error I made in the form 972 I would appreciate it.  I cannot see it.

Thanks very much!

@friz The problem on the worksheet you completed is on Line 16. 

The worksheet states -

Line 16 - Is the amount on line 10 of this worksheet more than the amount on line 15? 

Yes. Enter the amount from line 15.

Line 15 is 0 so Line 16 is 0

This is your child tax credit and credit for other dependents.

Enter this amount on Form 1040, line 19

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies