turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Child born in June 2020 but only stayed in US until Oct 2020. What should I input for the number of months in the US?

Two questions were asked for newborn: How many months did the baby live with me and how many months in US. As per Turbotax suggestion, I used the whole year for the period baby lived with me since born in 2020. Not sure what should be the input for the number of months in US.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Child born in June 2020 but only stayed in US until Oct 2020. What should I input for the number of months in the US?

If the baby was with you for at least 1/2 of the remaining portion of the year, you will need to put that the baby was with you for 12 months and for 12 months in the United States, even though that is not truly the case.  But those are the rules for what to claim on a newborn.  And you do need to count the days and make sure that the number of days in the US were greater than the number of days outside of your home.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

If the baby was with you for at least 1/2 of the remaining portion of the year, you will need to put that the baby was with you for 12 months and for 12 months in the United States, even though that is not truly the case.  But those are the rules for what to claim on a newborn.  And you do need to count the days and make sure that the number of days in the US were greater than the number of days outside of your home.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks Daniel for the advice.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies