Solved: Child born in June 2020 but only stayed in US unti...

ramprasu2020

Child born in June 2020 but only stayed in US until Oct 2020. What should I input for the number of months in the US?

Two questions were asked for newborn: How many months did the baby live with me and how many months in US. As per Turbotax suggestion, I used the whole year for the period baby lived with me since born in 2020. Not sure what should be the input for the number of months in US.

DanielV01

If the baby was with you for at least 1/2 of the remaining portion of the year, you will need to put that the baby was with you for 12 months and for 12 months in the United States, even though that is not truly the case.  But those are the rules for what to claim on a newborn.  And you do need to count the days and make sure that the number of days in the US were greater than the number of days outside of your home.

DanielV01

ramprasu2020

Thanks Daniel for the advice.