Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet: TY21 Sch D AMT ln 7/ln 15 must be entered

• Smart check throws this question towards the end of my return and I am unable to move forward. Does anyone have this issue and any idea what I am supposed to say for both questions? On TurboTax desktop there is not much info on what is needed here. Any input is appreciated.

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 10.07.14 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 10.07.23 PM.png

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Locate your 2021 return. Find Sch D. Look at lines 7 and 15. Enter the numbers where asked, line 7 first and then line 15.

2021 Form 1040 (Schedule D) (PDF): Capital Gains and Losses

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cbm51

Not sure why 2022 generated the Schedule D AMT and 2021 did not, but I had the same issue.  TT was asking for information from a 2021 Schedule D AMT that was never generated.  After much head scratching, I went back into TurboTax 2021 program (had to shutdown 2023 version - won't run both at the same time) and asked it for the form and it generated it for me.  I was able to pull the info requested and was on my way again.

BTW - the AMT forms/worksheets are generated to determine whether or not you owe AMT (Alternative Minimum Tax).  Most do not owe AMT, but the determination is necessary.

I don't have a 2021 Schedule D AMT form or a 2022 Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet, but I have a 2022 Schedule D AMT form.  You said that we could use the regular 2021 Schedule D (non-AMT) Lines 7 & 15 when asked to fill in the 2021 Schedule D AMT Lines 7 & 15.  But, Line 15 in my regular 2022 Schedule D and my 2022 Schedule D AMT forms have a different value.  Does that mean that the 2021 regular Schedule D & 2021 Schedule D AMT could have different values for Lines 7 & 15?  Or is there an error in my 2022 Schedule D AMT Line 15 which seems like it added the wrong numbers? 

Where should I get my 2021 Schedule D AMT Lines 7 & 15 from in order to bypass the errors that won't let me continue?

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

If you used TurboTax for Desktop to prepare your 2021 tax return and still have the software, you can open your tax return using the same version of TurboTax for that year to access all the forms and worksheets for that year. 

If you used TurboTax Online, follow these instructions to download a PDF that includes all forms and worksheets in your prior year return: 

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account. Make sure you're using the same TurboTax account (same user ID) as in previous years. 
  2. From Tax Home, scroll down and select Your tax returns & documents. Select the year you want and select Download/print return (PDF).

Note: If the year you're looking for isn't there, it might be in a different account. Go here to find all of your accounts. One of them should have the return you're looking for.

If your 2021 tax return does not include a Carryover Worksheet, it's possible you had no carryovers that year. In this case, enter zeroes for the prior year carryovers. Do not leave these boxes blank.

@ballrmdancer 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies