turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital Gains

Retired 74 year old started American Funds act in 2003. Last December I sold $10K. American Funds states I cannot use Average Cost because money was tax-deferred. So what do I use as a Cost Basis? How do I determine the cost of these shares when I have held the account for 17 years? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital Gains

you need to clarify what you mean by tax deferred.   was this a retirement account or an annuity?    then what happened? 

Capital Gains

This is what it states, "Cost basis is not applicable to tax-deferred accounts, including 529 and retirement accounts, or money market funds." 

They did email me a year by year account of transactions which contain Dividends and Capital Gains. This goes back from now to 2003. That's like having a road map without a destination. This account was handled by Wells Fargo Advisers. I have asked them for information but, for whatever reason, they have not responded yet. I don't know if they are obligated to provide this information. American Funds said they do not supply this. There should be a simple rule.

Thank you for responding. 

Capital Gains

(I don't know if I am responding twice but here goes)

This is what it states, "Cost basis is not applicable to tax-deferred accounts, including 529 and retirement accounts, or money market funds." 

They did email me a year by year account of transactions which contain Dividends and Capital Gains. This goes back from now to 2003. That's like having a road map without a destination. This account was handled by Wells Fargo Advisers. I have asked them for information but, for whatever reason, they have not responded yet. I don't know if they are obligated to provide this information. American Funds said they do not supply this. There should be a simple rule.

Thank you for responding. 

Capital Gains

if you sold in 2019, what kind of tax form did they send you? 1099-B? 1099-R? nothing?

if you are 74, did they remind you to take your RMD, which would mean this is a IRA.

Capital Gains

1099 B from Wells Fargo. Lists # of shares, Proceeds, and no Cost Basis or anything else. Tells me to report it on Form 8949 Part 1 with Box B or Part II with Box E checked. 

RMD is taken from another account. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies