Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jvotel

Capital Gain

If I cash in my 401k and use that money as a downpayment on a house, do I  consider the entire amount as income, or would it cancel out because it went to a capital purchase (house)?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Capital Gain

It is income.  It doesn't matter what you do with it except if you roll it over to another 401K or IRA account.   It will add to your income and may push you inter a higher tax bracket so be careful.  And there is a 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty if you are under 59 1/2.  But you can avoid the 10% penalty if you use money from a IRA instead of a 401K to buy a new house.  

jvotel

Capital Gain

thanks.  I am 63.  Isn't there a capital gains exemption of $500k if you are married and filing jointly?

Capital Gain

Yes but on a house SALE.  Not for buying a house.  

Capital Gain

If you take money out of a 401k you will get a 1099R for next year and have to enter it as income on your next tax return.  There is no tax break for using money from a 401k for the purchase or down payment on a home.  Money you take out of a 401k is taxable income.

You must be confused by the rule that pertains to the SALE of a house----if you SELL a primary residence you have lived in for 2 out of the last 5 years, you do not pay capital gains on $250K if you are single, or on $500K if you are filing a joint return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies