Did you mean:Ā 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TBRASHER

Where do I report capital gain distributions?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Belling

Capital gain distributions are normally reported to taxpayers on Form 1099-DIV (or an equivalent combined statement from certain brokerage firms).

You can enter them into TurboTax as follows:

• Federal taxes< wages and income< select "I'll choose what I work on" or "Jump to a Full List", or 
  • Scroll down through All Income and under the section for Interest & Dividends, select Start or Update across from  "Dividends on 1099-DIV"
  • Answer "yes" on the next screen, to indicate you have amounts to enter from a 1099-DIV form.

The capital gain distributions are entered in Box 2a of the 1099-DIV input screen.  These amounts will flow to your Schedule D part II line 13.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Belling

Capital gain distributions are normally reported to taxpayers on Form 1099-DIV (or an equivalent combined statement from certain brokerage firms).

You can enter them into TurboTax as follows:

• Federal taxes< wages and income< select "I'll choose what I work on" or "Jump to a Full List", or 
  • Scroll down through All Income and under the section for Interest & Dividends, select Start or Update across from  "Dividends on 1099-DIV"
  • Answer "yes" on the next screen, to indicate you have amounts to enter from a 1099-DIV form.

The capital gain distributions are entered in Box 2a of the 1099-DIV input screen.  These amounts will flow to your Schedule D part II line 13.

cdg144

I have $50,000 reported in Box 2a but nothing in box 2d, thus making it capital gain distribution.  How does that function in IRS determination

arun
Level 3

In my 2021 return, i do have some capital gain distributions captured in 1099-DIV as item 2a. It's showing up in my income details. But for some reason, turbotax is not generating Schedule D for my investment income.

In my view, because it's not generating schedule-D for federal tax, the cali state tax is getting calculated wrongly. Appreciate quick help as the deadline is tomorrow šŸ™‚

Note: is there a way to force turbotax to create schedule-D?

Thanks

Arun

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies