Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

can you choose to file tax independently even if parents support you and can claim you as dependent

Hi

I am 17 years old student with some income (W2), interest income and investment gains.  I am living with my parents and they support my expenses including rent (my income is not enough to support 50% of my expenses) . However, I want to file as an independent (even though they can claim me as dependent, I don't want that). Am I allowed to file as independent and they don't claim me as dependent? )

thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

can you choose to file tax independently even if parents support you and can claim you as dependent

Your parents are not required to claim you as their dependent, but you cannot file as a non-dependent just because they don't claim you. You need to list yourself as a dependent of them on your tax return if you qualify as such, as it may affect the taxability of your income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Since you CAN be claimed as a dependent you MUST indicate that on the tax return EVEN IF  your parents will NOT claim you as a dependent.  If you do not then you are filing a fraudulent return  ESPECIALLY if you are trying to get the stimulus credit illegally.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies