Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eddy27

Can we claim our 18 year old child that is still in high school?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes. A child is still a "Qualifying Child" dependent if under 19 (not 18) or under 24 if a full time student. High school counts as being a student.

There are two types of dependents, Qualifying Children and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit. Only a QC qualifies you for the Earned Income Credit and the Child Tax. 

A child of a taxpayer can still be a Qualifying Child (QC) dependent, regardless of his/her income, if:

1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or is totally & permanently disabled

2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support. Scholarships are considered third party support and not as support provided by the student.

3. He lived with the parent (including temporary absences such as away at school) for more than half the year

View solution in original post

27 Replies

Why are you asking?  Did your child have their own income?

No
danera21

Can my 18 years old child file taxes and used the parent address

Yes.

A family member has a 19 year old in high school and she got EIC and dependent credit

Can anyone tell me how this happened
Hal_Al
Level 15

Several possibilities:
1. What we have here is merely a failure of communication. There is no "dependent credit". But there is a dependent deduction (exemption)
2. She made a mistake  
3. She outright cheated

Ok she actually got the full EIC but how

New question..my 18 yr old in high school received SSA beginning August total of $3568.67 for the year may i claim him i made $3200 for the year.
Hal_Al
Level 15

A "child", living a home, can continue to be a qualifying child for EIC and the dependent deduction thru age 23, if he is a full time student (high school counts as being a student). He just doesn't qualify you for the Child Tax Credit.

An 18 year old (in high school or not) is still a qualifying child.  It's doubtful that he provided more than half his own support with only $3569 of income, So you can claim him. You will get about $1060  with $3200 of earned income.

A child can be the “qualifying child” dependent of any close relative in the household. If you live with someone else, e.g. your parents, it may be better if they claim your child.

Ok we live with my boyfriend can he claim my son?
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes & no.
If they lived together all year, he may claim him as a dependent for the dependent deduction. But because they are not related, your son is not a qualifying person for EIC or Head of Household filing status.

What proof will a family member need in order to claim my son and thank you very much

Hello
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies