Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can TurboTax Business properly process 1099-R? I am using it to submit a 1041 for my father's estate and it sends me to "other income or loss" with just 2 boxes for info

In Home and Business I can process 1099-R using a form which has all of the boxes that are found on the 1099-R.  It moves the inputs into the proper places on the tax forms.

I need to use "Business" to create the 1041 for my father's trust but it does not have the capability to process a 1099-R properly.  The "other income or loss" has just 2 boxes and does not indicate what is supposed to be in the two boxes.

There will be no way to indicate taxes taken for federal or state, what amount is gross and what amount is taxable, etc.

This is 4/14/2019.  You would think that, the day before taxes are due, the software would be functioning properly.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can TurboTax Business properly process 1099-R? I am using it to submit a 1041 for my father's estate and it sends me to "other income or loss" with just 2 boxes for info

Click the Federal Taxes tab, click Income, click the Start button to the right of Other income or loss (see the first two screenshots), and note that there are four boxes. However, you will only need one to report the ordinary income from your 1099-R.

To enter the withholding, use Forms Mode (click the Forms icon in the upper right side of the screen). In Forms Mode, open Form 1041, enter the federal income tax withheld on Line 25e, and check the 1099 box (see third screenshot).

If state taxes were withheld, then you simply enter the figure as Taxes located in the Expenses, taxes, and fees subheading, in the Deductions section under the Federal Taxes tab.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Click the Federal Taxes tab, click Income, click the Start button to the right of Other income or loss (see the first two screenshots), and note that there are four boxes. However, you will only need one to report the ordinary income from your 1099-R.

To enter the withholding, use Forms Mode (click the Forms icon in the upper right side of the screen). In Forms Mode, open Form 1041, enter the federal income tax withheld on Line 25e, and check the 1099 box (see third screenshot).

If state taxes were withheld, then you simply enter the figure as Taxes located in the Expenses, taxes, and fees subheading, in the Deductions section under the Federal Taxes tab.

Line 25e feeds from (Tax Payments Worksheet Part II - 1a) which feeds from (Int-Div Worksheet Part II Box 4 Fed Inc Tax). I cannot just change the taxes paid number on Line 25e.

You can't if you entered it on the Int/Div Worksheet first. Otherwise, it will work the way the screenshot depicts.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies