Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can the substitute form 1099-S from the settlement documents be the same as 1009-S form?

I sold my second home in 2022; but I didn't receive the 1099-S form from my title company in 2023. I contacted my title company to ask for the 1099-S form and they said that I can use the substitute form 1099-S that they provided in my settlement documents during the closing process in 2022.  I did see the substitute form1099-S and it contained enough information for me to do this year tax.  Will this substitute form 1099-S be ok?  My title company said that they did report the sale to IRS and they will not mail the 1099-S form to me and they said I can use the substitute form 1099-S to file my tax.  I am fine with the substitute form 1099-S; but I wonder will be ok with IRS?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Can the substitute form 1099-S from the settlement documents be the same as 1009-S form?

Yes, a substitute 1099-S is ok with the IRS. The most important thing is that the sale of your second home is reported on your tax return, which the IRS will match to their copy of the 1099-S form.

Additional information: Where do I enter the sale of a second home, an inherited home, or land on my 2022 taxes?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Yes, a substitute 1099-S is ok with the IRS. The most important thing is that the sale of your second home is reported on your tax return, which the IRS will match to their copy of the 1099-S form.

Additional information: Where do I enter the sale of a second home, an inherited home, or land on my 2022 taxes?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies