Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Irvine Old Driver
Returning Member

can't open saved 2020 tax file and can't transfer former year file

I bought this 2020 premier version from Costco. After CD installation and online update, I found that it doesn't transfer my former [.tax2019] at all. I tried a few times by clicking "transfer return" button but nothing happened. Ok fine I can start over. And I spent a few hours working on my 2020 return and saved the file. But next time when I tried to open it, it kept saying "file is corrupt, try again..." without any error code. Believe me I'm a highly experienced turbo user from 2008 so I won't make any mistake on my side. I'm very disappointed this time. How the hell can I finish my return without saving function?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Try a "Save As"  and make sure you direct the saved file to a directory on your main system hard drive.  Never direct it to a USB flash drive or cloud drive.   If it's already set to go to a default directory on your main system disk that was set up when the software was installed, try saving it to your desktop or to a newly-created directory on your hard drive. 

Make sure the CD is NOT in the drive anymore.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I tried to open the file with Adobe.  It won't do that.  How do I open the download?

@jmh11155450 wrote:

I tried to open the file with Adobe.  It won't do that.  How do I open the download?

The tax data file can only be opened by the TurboTax software for the year of the file.   The tax data file has a file extension of .taxyyyy where yyyy is the year of the file. eg. .tax2020 for tax year 2020.

The PDF of the tax return can be opened by any compatible PDF viewer, such as Adobe Reader.

To access your prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies