Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can't I Change Filing Status to Qualifying Widow

My spouse passed 9/2020. I filed a joint return for 2020 taxes, no problem.  I want to file as Qualifying Widow for 2021. I have two dependent grandchildren who lived with me the entire year (actually all their lives). My spouse and I have always listed them as dependents on our joint taxes, as I did again last year, because we provide all their care.  For some reason my Turbo Deluxe says to file as Head of Household because "you do not have any dependents who have lived with you the whole year".  I have answered the question to reflect they have lived with me the whole 2021 year, and try to enter my filing status as Qualifying Widow but the software keeps defaulting to Head of Household and won't allow me to change to Qualifying Widow.  Am I missing something here?  What should I do?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Expert Alumni

In order to claim qualifying widow, it must be your child. A grandchild does not qualify you for that status. 

References:

Instructions for Form 1040 

About Publication 501, Dependents, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information, page 10

I am very sorry for your loss.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

You are correct you appear to be eligible for Qualifying Widow(er) filing status this year.  

Be sure in the "My Info" section for each dependent you have indicated they lived with you the "Whole year' and "In the US" the whole year.  

Also select "No" for each of them indicating, they did not provide more than half their own support.  

They spent the most nights in your home and you plan to claim them with no aggreement involved. 

No other relatives lived in your home providing support.  

And finally, you paid more than half the cost to upkeep the home for them.

Thanks DMarkM1 for responding.  I did exactly that, and even went back and redid it again but Turbo Deluxe still will not allow me to select Qualifying Widow(er).  It says "You don't qualify for qualifying widow(er) status since you do not have a dependent child who lived with you the whole year, or the child you are claiming is a foster child."  Then it defaults back to Head of Household. 

Could this be a glitch?  Should I start over and enter all info manually? (Initially I let the software transfer the data). Thanks.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

In order to claim qualifying widow, it must be your child. A grandchild does not qualify you for that status. 

References:

Instructions for Form 1040 

About Publication 501, Dependents, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information, page 10

I am very sorry for your loss.

Thank you sooo much AmyC.  OK...now it makes sense and I can continue.  And thank you for your condolences, I appreciate that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies