turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can someone explain why I don’t get stimulus money for my kids? Never got it on the first stimulus either

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Can someone explain why I don’t get stimulus money for my kids? Never got it on the first stimulus either

The eligibility requirements for the stimulus are listed on the IRS website and can be accessed by clicking here.

You can make an adjustment on your 2020 tax return for stimulus payments you qualify for, but have not received. 

To do this in TurboTax, please follow these steps:

1. Enter the information in your return.
  2. Click Federal Review at the top of your screen. 
  3. On the screen, Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  4. You will be asked about the amounts of first round and second round stimulus payments you received
  5. TurboTax will then calculate the amount of stimulus payment remaining that you are still entitled to.  This will show as a credit on line 30 of the 1040.

while no one is going to know 'why' you didn't get paid for your children, there is a reconciliation on the 2020 tax return and you will get the credit there.  Be sure that when you look at your tax return where you children are listed, there is a checkmark WAY OVER to the RIGHT.  The check has to be under 'child tax credit' to get credit for the children under the stimulus program. if it is not, and they are under 17 years old, delete and re-enter them

let me know!

Manage cookies