Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my son (my dependent) avoid being subject to kiddie tax

My son is 23 and graduated college last May.    He had a part time job in 2017 with only 6,000 in income.  he sold some stock in 2017 that he purchased with his own money and had a cap gain of 4500.   turbotax forced him to have to pay the "kiddie tax" based on my income.  is there any way to avoid this since it his his money that had the actual gain

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately not through tax provisions.  Please click on the following link for more information from the IRS on the Kiddie Tax - Internal Revenue Service.  The only way he could get around this is to be able to file as an independent, but your brief description does sound like he was still your qualifying child, so, unless he either lived away from home more than 6 months (his schooling does not count but time after graduation would count), then he would have to file Form 8615 and pay tax at your marginal rate on his capital gains.

The intention behind this law is to close a tax-shelter loophole for higher-income families by not allowing them to simply move capital gain and other unearned income over to their dependent children so that such earnings can be taxed at the dependent's marginal rate (which for long-term capital gains is zero).  This law makes sense from this standpoint but does have an unintended consequence:  what your son is experiencing this year.  

Thus, there's no real way through the tax return to avoid the Kiddie Tax, but you can always decide to help your son keep his earnings by covering his tax if you so choose.  (You can't claim the amount on your return, but you can give him a "helping hand" so to speak).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately not through tax provisions.  Please click on the following link for more information from the IRS on the Kiddie Tax - Internal Revenue Service.  The only way he could get around this is to be able to file as an independent, but your brief description does sound like he was still your qualifying child, so, unless he either lived away from home more than 6 months (his schooling does not count but time after graduation would count), then he would have to file Form 8615 and pay tax at your marginal rate on his capital gains.

The intention behind this law is to close a tax-shelter loophole for higher-income families by not allowing them to simply move capital gain and other unearned income over to their dependent children so that such earnings can be taxed at the dependent's marginal rate (which for long-term capital gains is zero).  This law makes sense from this standpoint but does have an unintended consequence:  what your son is experiencing this year.  

Thus, there's no real way through the tax return to avoid the Kiddie Tax, but you can always decide to help your son keep his earnings by covering his tax if you so choose.  (You can't claim the amount on your return, but you can give him a "helping hand" so to speak).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Kiddie tax always applies to the child's own money. The fact that it was his money is no help in avoiding the kiddie tax. The tax is specifically imposed on investment income earned on the child's money.

TurboTax did not force your son to pay the kiddie tax. The tax law forced him to pay it. TurboTax is just following the law.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies