sidneyd0

Can my father claim me as dependent if I filled my own taxes saying I was independent? I’m 19, not a full time student, I work full time, and he dose not pay for more than half of my living expen

fanfare

Did you e-File? Your father can try to claim you but he will have to do it on paper.

Since you already filed, you could be OK.

You will know shortly.

macuser_22

If over age 18 and not a full-time student AND your gross income was more the $4,200 in 2019 then you cannot be a dependent.  If you were claimed then your father needs to amend and remove you or he will receive a big tax bill in about a year or so for the back tax, interest and penalties.

sidneyd0

Hello thank you so much for answering, I did efile in February my dad recently within the last couple weeks he did efile as well

@fanfare 

sidneyd0

Hello thank you for replying I appreciate it. My father most likely will refuse to take me off as a dependent even if it means he gets fined in the future. Do you know if this now no longer qualifies me for a stimulus check? Also, is there any place I can file a claim aganced him for incorrectly claiming me? Any advice would help thank you so much 

@macuser_22 

macuser_22

If you did not check the box that you can be claimed as a dependent then your fathers e-file will reject since a SSN cannot be filed more than once.