Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I use Turotax to do efiling only? I asked a CPA to prepare my tax due to a special situation happened in 2022.

Can I use Turbotax to do efile only?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Can I use Turotax to do efiling only? I asked a CPA to prepare my tax due to a special situation happened in 2022.

Well you would have to fill it all out in Turbo Tax first and pay for Online or buy the Desktop program.  Why can't your CPA file it?  

TurboTax can used to e-file a 2022 federal tax return at any time on or before October 15, 2023.  After that date the 2022 tax return can only be printed and mailed using the 2022 TurboTax online or desktop editions.

Tax returns prior to 2022 can now only be printed and mailed using the TurboTax desktop edition software, they cannot be e-filed.

And why can't the CPA file the return ?    If they signed it (which they are required to do per IRS rules) then they are required to efile the return as well.  

To e-file a return with Turbotax Online, you have to go through the interview process, and you have to pay for the program.

To e-file a return with Turbotax installed on your own computer from a CD or download, you can copy your professional return onto the forms using Forms mode.  However, this may void the accuracy guarantee, and if you have to override any of the built-in calculations, that will block e-filing.  And you have to pay for the program, of course.  

Either way, you probably lose any guarantee or representation that the CPA might offer.

Why not have the professional who already prepared your return, file it also?

No. To e-file the return with Turbotax it would have to be prepared from scratch using its online or desktop software. in addition, pro software may handle forms and situations that Turbotax does not that would then require you to file by mail and the accuracy guarantee might be void. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies