Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

a_f
Level 2

Can I use turbotax to e-file Form 1040X for FY 2020 if the original was submitted by a 3rd party?

I have my FY 2020 Tax return in pdf form, submitted via a firm. Can I use turbotax to e-file Form 1040X (minor amendment, not supporting document will be required)?

The only option I can see for FY 2020 is full tax return for $80 (deluxe), do I need to take that option to submit amendment as well?

As a matter of fact, I think I can fill up Form 1040X myself (because it's a minor change in income), so an option to e-submit the already filled up form would also work for me.

Worst case scenario, I'll just mail the form to IRS.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

Can I use turbotax to e-file Form 1040X for FY 2020 if the original was submitted by a 3rd party?

Yes , you can amend your tax return using TurboTax if your original return was down elsewhere. However, you will have to recreate the original return exactly as it was filed as part of this process.

You would first have to fill out a new return in TurboTax like you were doing it for the first time and hopefully come out with the same results as your original filed return. Then when it exactly matches what you filed and amounts are the same for every line on the 1040 tell TurboTax you want to file by mail and print out the original return so TurboTax thinks it was filed, then you can do the amended return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

Yes , you can amend your tax return using TurboTax if your original return was down elsewhere. However, you will have to recreate the original return exactly as it was filed as part of this process.

You would first have to fill out a new return in TurboTax like you were doing it for the first time and hopefully come out with the same results as your original filed return. Then when it exactly matches what you filed and amounts are the same for every line on the 1040 tell TurboTax you want to file by mail and print out the original return so TurboTax thinks it was filed, then you can do the amended return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jbdb20556

Ued TT desktop to submit return through Intuit and need a 1040X and want to file it electronically through TT

You can only efile a 2021 amended return thru TT ... all other past tax years must be mailed in.   

How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies