Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lhwx1224

Can I use Turbotax if I live in upstate NY? I only see NYC and Yonkers locality codes available, and it does not match my residential and workplace-related questions.

I changed my work to Tompkins County, NY. When I file for my state tax, there are only NYC and Yonkers locality codes available. Does that mean I cannot file for state tax if I work in NY state but not in NYC or Yonkers? Otherwise, the residency and working days-related questions do not relate to my current work/residency place.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Can I use Turbotax if I live in upstate NY? I only see NYC and Yonkers locality codes available, and it does not match my residential and workplace-related questions.

Yes, you can use TurboTax. NYC and Yonkers are listed as localities because they have local city income tax. If you did not live or work in NYC or Yonkers in 2023, you do not have to enter a locality. When TurboTax asks about NYC or Yonkers residency, leave the residency for both cities set to nonresident. When TurboTax asks if you maintained living quarters in New York City or had income from Yonkers sources, answer No to both questions. It will not ask about working days if you did not live or work in NYC or Yonkers.

When did you move to Tompkins County, and where did you move from? If you moved in 2023, and you lived or worked in New York City or Yonkers for any part of 2023, post more details including exact dates, and clarify where you lived and where you worked. Did you live and work in New York State for all of 2023, or did you move from another state?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies