Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I start a 1041 fiduciary return using TurboTax and can I do this if I have already submitted 2018 tax returns for the months the decedent was alive (through August)?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AlanT
Expert Alumni

Can I start a 1041 fiduciary return using TurboTax and can I do this if I have already submitted 2018 tax returns for the months the decedent was alive (through August)?

In order to prepare a Fiduciary income tax return, Form 1041, you must use TurboTax Business.  It is only available on the desktop software (CD or Download).  https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

Although TurboTax Business handles Form 1041 for trust and estate income tax returns, not all trusts and estates require this form to be filed.

A trust is a legal entity formed under state law, creating a relationship where one person holds title to property subject to some benefit to another person(s), referred to as a beneficiary. Trusts can be created for a living person or come into existence at a person's death.

Many trusts require the filing of a Tax Return for Estates and Trusts (Form 1041), but some don't. Here are some examples:

Decedent’s Estate
In the case of a death, the executor must file a Tax Return for Estates and Trusts (Form 1041) for a domestic estate that has:

• Gross income of $600 or more for the tax year, or
  • A beneficiary who is a non-resident alien

Domestic Trust
You must file Form 1041 for a domestic trust that has:

• Any taxable income for the tax year
  • Gross income of $600 or more (regardless of taxable income)
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AlanT
Expert Alumni

In order to prepare a Fiduciary income tax return, Form 1041, you must use TurboTax Business.  It is only available on the desktop software (CD or Download).  https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

Although TurboTax Business handles Form 1041 for trust and estate income tax returns, not all trusts and estates require this form to be filed.

A trust is a legal entity formed under state law, creating a relationship where one person holds title to property subject to some benefit to another person(s), referred to as a beneficiary. Trusts can be created for a living person or come into existence at a person's death.

Many trusts require the filing of a Tax Return for Estates and Trusts (Form 1041), but some don't. Here are some examples:

Decedent’s Estate
In the case of a death, the executor must file a Tax Return for Estates and Trusts (Form 1041) for a domestic estate that has:

• Gross income of $600 or more for the tax year, or

Domestic Trust
You must file Form 1041 for a domestic trust that has:

• Any taxable income for the tax year
  • Gross income of $600 or more (regardless of taxable income)
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Your product comparison seemed to indicate that the 1041 was included with the Premier product so I bought that product just today. Can I get my product updated to the Business product by paying the difference in price?  I already had your deluxe product and only bought the premier product for the 1041 and K-1s.  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies