Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I mail my State Returns from the PRINT CENTER rather than from the FILE tab?

I need to file Part Year MA and NC state returns. Due to a TT confirmed bug via phone support, I need to modify the federal return to generate a valid MA return and then change it back to generate the NC return. The value I am changing ONLY impacts state returns and does not impact  the federal return (US debt Obligations which are exempt from state income tax).

I cannot use the PRINT TO FILE screen for MA because it will finalize and lock me out from being able to go back and make the change to my federal return for NC. Can I use the print center to Print my MA return (Just My Tax Return , no worksheets)  and use those to mail to the state? They appear to be officially acceptable MA returns with bar codes. I think the only difference if you use the FILE  tab is it finalizes (locks you out) and prints mailing instructions.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Can I mail my State Returns from the PRINT CENTER rather than from the FILE tab?

Yes, you can print and mail your return from the Print Center.  Just be sure to select All official forms required for filing.  Then if you are only wanting to print and mail your state returns you can unselect federal.  You may need to click through the error warning and select print return anyways but then the forms along with mailing instructions will be printed. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can print and mail your return from the Print Center.  Just be sure to select All official forms required for filing.  Then if you are only wanting to print and mail your state returns you can unselect federal.  You may need to click through the error warning and select print return anyways but then the forms along with mailing instructions will be printed. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies