turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x-lao4510

Can I keep my kids on my return as Non-Dependent EIC if their father is claiming them as Dependents on his?

we all live together, and he's filing as head of household. We were told that since the children had health insurance under him, that he HAD to claim them as dependents.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

Can I keep my kids on my return as Non-Dependent EIC if their father is claiming them as Dependents on his?

I assume you are not married to the children's father, since spouses living together cannot claim head of Household.

The answer sis no, you cannot.  For an unmarried couple living together with their children, only one parent can claim everything related  to the children.  if he claims head of household based on having the children as dependents, only he can claim all child-related credits.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Anita01

You're not married?
x-lao4510

We are not married.
Anita01

I assume you are not married to the children's father, since spouses living together cannot claim head of Household.

The answer sis no, you cannot.  For an unmarried couple living together with their children, only one parent can claim everything related  to the children.  if he claims head of household based on having the children as dependents, only he can claim all child-related credits.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies