Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I find my total tax liability on my W2 I dont have a line 24. This is all my employer gives out?

I am trying to locate my total tax liability all I have is W2 from my employer
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I find my total tax liability on my W2 I dont have a line 24. This is all my employer gives out?

Your tax liability is not on your W-2.  A W-2 is the document the employer issues to you that shows how much you earned and how much was withheld for tax, etc.  Your tax liability is based on how much you earned, your filing status, whether you have dependents, whether you are eligible for deductions or credits, etc.etc.etc.---and all of those things are figured out when you prepare your Form 1040---your tax return.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-forms/what-is-a-w-2-form/L6VJbqWl5

A 1040 is the tax return form you prepare here to send to the IRS.   If you start entering data in this software you are preparing a Form 1040.   Please look at it so you will know what you are sending to the IRS:

PREVIEW 1040

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Your tax liability will only be on the Form 1040 after you have entered all of your income, deductions and credits.

The total tax liability will be on the Form 1040 Line 24.  Your total tax payments will be on Line 33.

If your total tax liability is greater than your total tax payments you will have taxes owed shown on the Form 1040 Line 37

If your total tax liability is less than your total tax payments you will have a tax refund for the overpayment shown on the Form 1040 Line 35a

You can view your Form 1040 plus Schedules 1, 2 and 3 at any time using the online editions. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies