Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IWMX

Can I file my own w-2 married filing separate (no dependents) and also be a dependent on my husbands w-2?

Can I file my own w-2 married filing separate (no dependents) and also be a dependent on my husbands w-2?

My w-2  has no dependents. Just me. Want to file married filing separate. 

My husband claims me and two kids. We file his married filing jointly.  

Is this doable?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

That would be a double-filing.  If you and your husband file married filing joint, your income must be included on the return.  It is usually still the most favorable filing status for a married couple (even though increased income may reduce Earned Income Credit).  But you cannot exclude your income from the return if you have a joint return to file.  You can both file Married Filing Separately, (which can result in a loss of certain credits, especially Earned Income Credit), but it is legal for both of you to file Married Filing Separate returns.  But one cannot file Married Filing Joint and the other Married Filing Separate.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

That would be a double-filing.  If you and your husband file married filing joint, your income must be included on the return.  It is usually still the most favorable filing status for a married couple (even though increased income may reduce Earned Income Credit).  But you cannot exclude your income from the return if you have a joint return to file.  You can both file Married Filing Separately, (which can result in a loss of certain credits, especially Earned Income Credit), but it is legal for both of you to file Married Filing Separate returns.  But one cannot file Married Filing Joint and the other Married Filing Separate.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies