Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ericgarcia828
Returning Member

Can I file as head of household and claim the eitc with qualifying children when married to a nonresident alien spouse?

If I am married to a nonresident alien and choose not to treat them as a resident for tax purposes, can I file as head of household AND claim the eitc?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Can I file as head of household and claim the eitc with qualifying children when married to a nonresident alien spouse?

@ericgarcia828 , assuming that you are a US citizen/Resident ( Green Card ) ,  your spouse is NRA,  and you have your qualifying  , dependent child ( children ) for whom you main a home, to claim Head-of-Household you must satisfy  either  (a) unmarried  or (b) considered unmarried .   If your spouse  ( NRA ) lived with you  at least for the last six months of the year, then you cannot satisfy the  "considered unmarried " clause -- spouse being NRA does  not invalidate the marriage .

Does this answer your query   ( it is not you wanted to hear -- sorry ) ?

ericgarcia828
Returning Member

On the irs website it says:

If you are a U.S. citizen married to a nonresident alien, you may qualify to use the head of household tax rates. You are considered unmarried for head of household purposes if your spouse was a nonresident alien at any time during the year and you do not choose to treat your nonresident spouse as a resident alien. 

Where does it say I can't file as HoH?

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@ericgarcia828 , you are CORRECT  and I am WRONG --- NRA is not a US person and as such you are considered unmarried  - this is true for federal purposes -- you have to view the state rules  for State purposes.

Sorry

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies