Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i file an injured spouse form through turbotax?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Form 8379 lets you (the "injured spouse") get back your portion of a jointly-filed refund if it's seized or offset to pay your spouse's debt. 

You must file jointly to use this form. Filing an 8379 will delay your federal refund by up to 14 weeks. 

To file this form in TurboTax: 

1. Open or continue your return. 

2. In the search box, enter injured spouse and then select the Jump to link in the search results. 

3. Answer Yes to Do you want to claim innocent or injured spouse relief? and carefully follow the onscreen instructions. 

Note: Pay close attention to the screens, as some of them apply to innocent spouse relief, which is different. Leave those questions blank if you only want to claim  Injured  spouse relief. 

This article will guide you through the process. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

11 Replies
CarolynB

Hi, You can file an injured spouse claim in TurboTax. Form 8379 lets you (the "injured spouse") get back your portion of a jointly-filed refund if it's seized or offset to pay your spouse's debt.

You must file jointly to use this form. Also, filing an 8379 will delay your federal refund by up to 14 weeks.

1. Open your return.
    (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the orange Take me to my return button.)
    2. In the search box, search for injured spouse and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
    3. Answer Yes to Do you want to claim innocent or injured spouse relief? and carefully follow the onscreen instructions.

Note: Pay close attention to the screens, as some of them apply to innocent spouse relief, which is something else. Leave those questions blank if you only want to claim injured spouse relief.

When I go to this it asks me if I want to claim innocent or injured spouse relief. I click yes.  It then asks me to enter the years that I'm seeking innocent spouse relief with no option for injured spouse, so I put in the applicable year for injured spouse anyway and it takes me to form 8857. The 8857 is the innocent spouse with no option for the 8379. 

chetmo

I follow these instructions but the when I click the "go to injured spouse" button it takes me to federal wages and income and i have to go thru the wages and income questions, but I never see an injured spouse question. 
Am I missing something? 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Form 8379 lets you (the "injured spouse") get back your portion of a jointly-filed refund if it's seized or offset to pay your spouse's debt. 

You must file jointly to use this form. Filing an 8379 will delay your federal refund by up to 14 weeks. 

1. Open or continue your return. 

2. In the search box, enter injured spouse and then select the Jump to link in the search results. 

3. Answer Yes to Do you want to claim innocent or injured spouse relief? and carefully follow the onscreen instructions. 

Note: Pay close attention to the screens, as some of them apply to innocent spouse relief, which is different. Leave those questions blank if you only want to claim  Injured  spouse relief. 

This article will guide you through the process. 

rjconard

All it gives me is the innocent spouse no the injured spouse.

AamilD
Expert Alumni

@rjconard , please follow the steps below to enter injured spouse related information:

1. Click on Tax Home from Left Side Menu.
  2. Click on Other Tax Situations.
  3. Click on Work on other tax situations.
  4. Scroll down, till you see "Other Tax Forms". Within this section, there will be an option for "Report an injured or innocent spouse claim". Click on Start/Revisit  next to it.
  5. Click Yes where it asks you if you want to claim innocent or injured spouse relief.
  6. The first question will be about innocent spouse relief. Leave those questions blank if you only want to claim  Injured  spouse relief. Click on Continue
  7. Then answer the questions accordingly.
rjconard

still takes me to innocent spouse even if leave blank

MayaD
Expert Alumni

You need to continue until you get to the screen Tell Us More About Your Situation, select the boxes that applies to you. If you qualify to file Injured spouse claim, you will have the option to file the claim on the following screen.

Please check the link below for more  information:

Instructions for Form 8379

Sick of lousy answers to a lousy program. The forms should be choosable not this nonsense of going through the wrong form to get to the right form EXCEPT IT DOESNT WORK! After moving through the Innocent spouse form it ONLY ends in that form! THERE iS NO OPTION to get to Injured Spouse form. This program is garbage and always has been and the useless answers thrown about that don't work are beyond annoying! I'm going to have to print this on paper and mail it in because this company and it program is garbage!

NO the hope field says NOTHING FOUND! There is no selectable go to option from that method. The only way to get there is through the other tax situations> other tax forms> Miscellaneous tax forms

@unwantedlogin Did not have any problems to get the Form 8379 Inured Spouse Claim.

Completed the Tell Us More About Your Situation screen by checking the correct boxes for the situation.

Injured Spouse 2020 5.JPG

Then went through the following screens -

• Tell Us More About Your Situation
  • You Qualify for Injured Spouse Relief
  • Who Is the Injured Spouse?
  • Report Current Address
  • John, do you want your refund to be issued in your name only?
  • Allocate Income
  • Allocate Deduction(s)
  • Allocate Taxes, Credits, and Payments
  • Your Claim Is Now Ready to Be Filed With Your Return

Then on the final screen -

Injured Spouse 2022 6.JPG

•  
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies