turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i enter a shared form 1095A with two of my children who are not dependents on my tax return?

entering form 1095 shared between 4 people
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

Can i enter a shared form 1095A with two of my children who are not dependents on my tax return?

There is a question in Form 1095-A section of TurboTax with a box to check indicating that the policy was "shared by somebody who is not on my tax return". 

You and your children will both need to answer the allocation questions. You can allocate each month of the 1095-A differently if you choose.

Your children and you can choose the allocation, or you can claim 100% of the 1095-A.  

See the details at this section of the IRS Instructions for Form 8962 for detailed instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I can enter 1 but how do you enter 2?

rabbitbaker
Returning Member

I have this same question.  Turbo tax will not let me enter 2 children, only one.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

If you did NOT tell the Healthcare Marketplace (usually when they applied for health insurance) that the children were not going to be your dependents, they will NOT receive a 1095-A of your own.  

• You will need to use your 1095-A and enter it into the tax return.  On the screen after entering the 1095-A, you will check the box indicating that the policy was shared by somebody that is not on your tax return.  It will then prompt you with further questions to determine how much of it is "allocated" to you (even if it is 0%). Everyone would follow this same procedure.
  • If there was Advance credit received (column C of the 1095-A), the parent will have the option to claim 100% of the 1095-A on their tax return, or to "allocate" part (or all) of it to you.  If you both agree, the allocation can be anywhere from 0% to 100%.  If you can not agree and Advance credit was received (column C on the 1095-A), then it is divided by the number of people on the insurance policy.  For example, if the insurance policy covers 4 people, each person is allocated 25%.
rabbitbaker
Returning Member

thank you, I cannot share with two children only one.  Turbo tax directs that I should call if I am sharing with more than one person, but I cannot get through to turbo tax.  I appreciate your help!

TurboTax does only let you enter one person.  But both of your children will need to enter the 1095-A on there returns exactly as it is on the form. 

The next page will say: Let us know if these situations apply to you

Check I shared this policy with another taxpayer who is not on my taxes

On the next page they will put your social security number.

You and your children need to agree on the percentage that each will use for Premium Percentage, SLCP Percentage, and PTC Percentage.  The only requiements are that you all must agree to the percentages and that the percentages together must add up to 100%.  You can use 100/0/0, 34,33,33, or any other combination that you both agree upon and that adds up to 100%.

As long as you include one other person and all the percentages equal to 100% you don't need to list everyone. Whoever is on the plan needs to come up with an idea of how they are going to divide the amounts before making any entries. The parent should reference one child and both children should reference the parent on their 1095-A entries.

@rabbitbaker

Would that mean that I enter my 20% and the "main" persons SSN and enter 60% since that is what we agreed on? (someone else is getting the remaining 20%)

Or do I enter it as I get 20% and they get 80% since I can only add 1 more person. They already filed their taxes in person but I do not want my mistake to affect them.

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

You will only enter your percentage on your return.  So if you are only claiming 20%, you will only enter 20%.  When they reference your return with your SSN, then it will be matched up for all of you to total 100%.  

So if Joe claims 20%, Barb claims 40% and Bill claims 20%, they will all enter your SSN as the other person they share the policy with.  This will equal 100% when all 4 of your returns are added up. You do not need to enter their percentage, only yours. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies