turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i download Turbo Business on a Windows 8.1 laptop, will it be able to pull prior data that was put on a Windows XP desktop if I copy tax files over to my laptop?

My desktop pc contains several years of business tax data on Windows XP.  I have a new laptop which is Windows 8.1.  If I copy on a flash drive or  CD all of the tax files  from my desktop and move them to my laptop in the turbo tax folder, will the new download Business tax for 2016 recognize the old tax data from previous years and incorporate data into the 2016 business tax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can i download Turbo Business on a Windows 8.1 laptop, will it be able to pull prior data that was put on a Windows XP desktop if I copy tax files over to my laptop?

See this TurboTax support FAQ concerning moving tax files to a new computer - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901474-how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-computer

You can't transfer the programs (unless you clone your old hard drive).  They have to be installed from the CD or Download.  You don't need to install the prior year programs unless you need to amend that year.  Before you move your tax return files make sure you have saved each year as a PDF file.  So you may want to open each year and do that.  FILE - SAVE TO PDF

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and PDF files are stored.  Then copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder. Those can always be at least read by any system, even if they can't be used directly by the program.

Especially....if you are upgrading to Windows 10....there is no guarantee that any of the 2014...or prior year tax programs will run at all on W-10. That has yet to be determined...

Save the PDF for each year twice.

1) Once as the tax return for filing   (this contains just the filing tax forms)

2) Again as the tax return, but with ALL the forms and worksheets (this contains all of your worksheets and shows all of your entries on some form or another).

The selection of the bare tax return, or the extended tax return with everything is made during the Save-to-PDF process.

And back those PDFs up to a backup USB or CD....every year we get tons of folks begging for access to a tax return on a crashed disk....TTX doesn't have it...only you do when you use the desktop software.

Yes.  You just need the file ending in .tax2015 to transfer into 2016.  Be sure to transfer the right one.  Both the Business program and the personal programs use the same file extension.tax2015.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies