Solved: Can I delete my TurboTax return password? I copied my return to my accountant, but it cannot be opened by accountant because of password.

donschmude

Can I delete my TurboTax return password? I copied my return to my accountant, but it cannot be opened by accountant because of password.

AndreaC1

To remove the password from a password-protected tax file you prepared in TurboTax CD/Download software, follow these steps:

1. Open the tax return you want to remove password from in the year software you created it in
  2. Go to the File menu in top left of the computer and select Encrypt on a Mac (on Windows PC select Password).
  3. Fill out the information in the pop-up window and then select Remove Password.

AndreaC1

Did you use the TurboTax CD/Download software installed on your computer and saved the PDF copy or tax data file with a password that way?
donschmude

Yes I did use my purchased Turbotax CD to download software my Mac computer.  I password protected my return prior to saving on my computer as recommended by TT(TurboTax). After completing my return on TT I gave it to my accountant for review, but my return cannot be opened on accountants computer because of password. Can I delete my password so it can be opened by accountant?
AndreaC1

Okay, thanks for update. Yes, you can remove it. I'm going to post the steps for you to do that below.
AndreaC1