Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I delete all entered state info and re-enter it from the beginning? Will that mess up my completed federal? Will the federal info transfer to state again?

I haven’t filed anything yet. Everything is on computer. I’m filing with two states but only have problems with one.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RaifH
Expert Alumni

Can I delete all entered state info and re-enter it from the beginning? Will that mess up my completed federal? Will the federal info transfer to state again?

Yes, you can delete the state tax return without having an impact to your federal return. The federal information will re-transfer once you begin the state again. 

However, it may mess up the information on the other state. If you are claiming a credit for the taxes paid to the state you are deleting on the return of the state you are keeping, that credit will go away when you delete the state's return.

For example, you messed up the return of State A and want to delete it. You are a resident of State B and that return is just fine. You are receiving a credit in your resident State B for the taxes you paid to State A. Once you delete State A, the credit on your State B return will also go away and you will see your State B taxes rise if you delete State A. In this case, you may also have to delete State B and start that one over after re-entering state A. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies