Can i deduct "project management professional" and "certified scrum master" certification renewal cost as part of my taxes?

Taxgig2017

i work as a consultant IT project manager and renewed my pmp/csm certifications in 2017.can i deduct certification renewal cost from my taxes? these certifications are required to stay competitive and improve skills by taking classes (One can renew pmp only after 60 hours for classes/pdu). These certification are not mandatory by employer but preferred qualification.

CarolynM

Yes, these are qualified employee expenses that can be included as Miscellaneous deductions on your Schedule A. 

Even though they are not mandatory, they are ordinary and necessary.

Here is the IRS language:

An expense is ordinary if it is common and accepted in your trade, business, or profession. An expense is necessary if it is appropriate and helpful to your business. An expense doesn't have to be required to be considered necessary.

These expenses must exceed 2% of your AGI before you will notice a difference on your tax return. 

For more information, see page 2 of the following: Misc. Deductions

Taxgig2017

thank you