space7dog

Can I deduct 100% of mortgage interest if I own with one other person, instead of splitting 50/50?

My partner and I bought a house this year and are both on the mortgage. We are not married. Can one of us deduct 100% of the mortgage interest, instead of each of us claiming half? Splitting in half ($3279 each) is not enough for either of us when itemizing to go over the standard deduction.

Texas Roger

You can deduct what each of you actually paid. If you paid the mortgage from pooled funds, you can split the deduction however you want to.

Texas Roger