ll946qq

Can I claim my adult son as a dependent?

My son has had no job for 2 years, wife kicked him out, lived with me 7+ months last year, still does now. No income. I give him an "allowance" in hopes he will work. But his wife still covers his health insurance.

You may be able to claim him as a dependent under the Qualifying Relative rules if he meets all the requirements under the rules.  Who pays for his health care coverage is not relevant.

To be a Qualifying Relative -

1. The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer. A child is not the qualifying child of any other taxpayer if the child's parent (or any other person for whom the child is defined as a qualifying child) is not required to file an income tax return or files an income tax return only to get a refund on income tax withheld.

2. The person either (a) must be related to you or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household. 

3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,150 (social security does not count) in 2018

4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.

5. The person must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S., Canada, or Mexico resident for some part of the year.

6. The person must not file a joint return with their spouse.

To be a Qualifying Relative -

ll946qq

That is so helpful, thank you. I was worried about the healthcare part since it was one of the questions TurboTax asked.
Ashby

Yes, you can claim him as a dependent.

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They made less than $4,150 in 2018.
  • You provided more than half of their financial support.
bettymyers

I claim my adult son who hasn't had a job in the last two years, and I pay for everything that he need except medical.  His wife left 2 yrs ago and went back home to England.   I was doing an estimate of my taxes and add

him on my taxes like i did last year   Now they are charging me for his medical for a 750.00 for the year 2020.

Did something change.

Marveagle

Why is the year for income under Qualifying Relative rules 2018?  I want to claim him for 2020.

You have posted on a very old thread from 2019 about 2018 returns.  The rules are the same for 2020 except the amount is 4,300 to claim someone.

Marveagle

Thanks.  Really appreciate the update.

Stay safe

Marv

Marveagle

Do you know if there will be any conflict if he files for 2020 to report a small amount of income from his savings/checking accounts?  Will this effect our claiming him as a dependent?  Sorry, but have never done this before.  He last worked in 2019.

Thanks again.

Marv