turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i claim expenses for the whole year if I was a contractor for only 2 months. (i have a 1099 and a w2 from the same company)?

i only worked 2 months as a subcontractor then was hired on to the company. I was still required to use my own vehicle to get to and from work. can i still deduct the mileage and expenses for the whole year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DanO

Can i claim expenses for the whole year if I was a contractor for only 2 months. (i have a 1099 and a w2 from the same company)?

Not quite, you would be self-employed as a subcontractor and report your business expenses on a Schedule C for two months.

After being hired on and getting a W-2 wage, you can no longer take the expense as a business expense, but now it would be treated as an employee unreimbursed expense.  This would now be reported on a Schedule A itemized deduction, limited to the amounts above 2% of your AGI.  The standard mileage rate for 2017 is $0.535.

I have the same issue. I've been a contractor for 2 months, signed a W9 and then signed a W4 when I got hired as a regular employee for the same company. I would like to know how did you pay your quarterly taxes for working 2 months as a contractor?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies