Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i claim dependents with no SSN?

I have dependents that are not eligible for a SSN, neither do they have an ITIN. Will they need to be added to my taxes?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

You cannot claim a dependent without an SSN or ITIN.  Have you applied for SSN or ITIN for them?  If so, you could request an extension for your return and file later when you have a SSN or ITIN for them.    The forms for requesting an extension usually become available in mid-March.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
LeticiaF1
Expert Alumni

No, for them to be included as dependents on your return, as xmasbaby0 mentioned they must have either an SSN or an ITIN. 

To apply for an ITIN, complete IRS Form W-7, IRS Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, with the application you will have to submit identifying documents for each applicant. You can mail the W-7 and documentation to the address in the Form W-7 Instructions. 

@rosasotelo90 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies