Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mwanner2

Can I cancel an estimated tax payment

I set up NY state estimated tax payments twice by mistake.  I need to cancel one set of them
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Not sure what you mean by "set up estimated tax payments."   How do you think you did that?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

if you set up online , call the NY dept of revenue or visit their website for cancellation instructions. you should also have printed out the confirmation that should also have details for cancelling. You only have so much time.

if you mailed in multiple payments, call the MY DOR to see if there's a way such as contacting your bank to stop payment. there may be a fine or penalty by NY for stopping payment. 

@xmasbaby0 

[Edited based on additional info]]  NY is a rare state (maybe the only state?) that lets you set up just your FIRST (2024) NY state quarterly estimated tax payment as a part of e-filing the 2023 NY state tax return, when using the TTX software.  And only when using the "Desktop"/Download software, not the "Online" software.

____

I guess, in that situation, one might set it up thru the software with their 2023 NY software e-filing, then forgotten and set it up again on the NY Website.   

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
mwanner2

I know I did it. It was a new feature this year in Turbotax in some states. I'm in NY state.  I know it worked (at first) because it did indeed make my first estimated tax payment.

Turns out, though, that that was the only payment it made.  I just found out what I would have to do to cancel future payments, but it was through NY state, not Turbotax, and when I went to do it, the remaining three payments weren't there.

There was this info posted in April........

4/9/24 According to a Moderator……
Apparently, TT software will no longer have the capability to schedule all 4 NY state estimated tax payments. Only the first payment can be scheduled using the software (which you all have reported). The software is supposed to direct you to an "external TurboTax app" to schedule the remaining 3 payments. Looks like this has been shared in this thread by @Ama485jjd . Of course, you may just want to schedule those payments directly on the NY DOR website.

The FAQ, cited before in this thread and again below, is to be updated to contain the correct info. I'll share that here as soon as the changes are complete.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-payments/view-change-new-york-estima...

@VolvoGirl 

Thanks....strange somethings new every year.   

Probably the change was implemented because too many NY folks were accidentally scheduling them for 4 qtrs, using the software, then realizing their mistake after the first payment, and wanting to cancel the rest......either that or thought it was a payment plan for taxes due.

Would be great if TTX included an FAQ of what states allow the estimated tax payments to be set up with the software...unless NY is the only one.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@SteamTrain   I believe it's only 1 state, New York. 

mwanner2

Yes, apparently it only sets up the first payment, but when I did it, I thought it had set up all four.  So in fact, I didn't have to cancel anything.  Both of my efforts at making the first payment were processed, so I didn't need to make the second, and now I have to do the last two normally.

Unless they improve it a lot, I won't be using TurboTax to make further estimated pmts.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies