turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

siddiq814

Can I bypass the Self Employment credit that reduces my income, and just pay more in taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Can I bypass the Self Employment credit that reduces my income, and just pay more in taxes?

Why do you want to do that?

@siddiq814  what credit specifically are you asking about?  any credit would not lower you income, it would lower the tax liability.  and as asked, why would you want to do that? 

Self Employment credit that reduces my income.

A credit reduces your taxes, not your income.  Are you asking about the credit for individuals who could not work due to COVID-19?   If so, I don't believe you are required to take it, even if you qualify.

New IRS form available for self-employed individuals to claim COVID-19 sick and family leave tax cre...

If, however, you are asking about self-employment expenses, you are required to claim these.

what year are you working on? for 2020 there was an option to defer self-employment tax. the deferment was not required. but you need to answer the questions correctly for Turbotax not to defer the tax. 

@siddiq814  

Or are you asking about the Qualified Business Income (QBI) deduction?

In other words, with such little information we don't know the context of your question, so all we can do is guess.   You should explain your situation in more detail--including exactly what you are referring to, and why you are asking the question.  What is the root of the issue, and what are you trying to achieve?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Or are you asking about the deduction (not credit) for half of your self-employment tax on Schedule 1 line 15?

Manage cookies