Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kirkbloomquist

Can credit-card statements be used as parking meter receipts for client visits?

I'm a small business owner (LLC), with a home office.  One of my long-term clients requires me to be onsite at least a few days out of the week and does not reimburse mileage and parking. I have a letter from the client stating the former but the only parking option are meters.  At first didn't think I could deduct the parking because the meters don't provide receipts, but I thought I'd get some advice.  

Can my credit card statements showing the charges be used as a receipt?  The meter charge dates will line up with my mileage log one-to-one.

1 Reply
ScruffyCurmudgeon
Level 8

Can credit-card statements be used as parking meter receipts for client visits?

As long as you keep a "contemporaneous record" - best in the form of a journal showing the days you are on site at the client, then the credit card charges will provide substantiation for not only parking transportation expenses but also any mileage that may be deductible - depending on how you deal with vehicle expenses and assuming that this one client is not your only one business location stop in a day.

Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Univ. faculty
NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on ;"Mark as Best Answer;"

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.48m
Members

2.6m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v