Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can anyone tell me why I received $500 less in my NY State return then I should have?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Can anyone tell me why I received $500 less in my NY State return then I should have?

If your state refund was less than what you expected, it may have been offset to pay an outstanding debt in the state of NY or the state made adjustments while processing your return. The state should send you a notice explaining what happened. And if you have questions after receiving that notice, you can contact them at the phone number provided in the letter. TurboTax has no access to what happens after the government receives your returns. They handle all the processing of the returns and refunds after you file. 

You may be able to get some information while waiting on the notice, but you'll have to contact NY's Department of Taxation and Finance to see what they can tell you. Here is their contact page https://www.tax.ny.gov/help/contact/default.htm

Per NY Dept of Taxation & Finance, found here https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/more_info_refunds.htm
"Adjusted refund amounts

Your refund amount may differ from what you claimed on your return if:

• your tax return had one or more errors
    • If we sent you a paper check, we will also send you Form DTF-160, Account Adjustment Notice. For an explanation of the error(s) on your tax return, see Section A, Explanation of adjustment.
    • If we directly deposited your refund, within 30 days we will send you Form DTF-160, Account Adjustment Notice. For an explanation of the error(s) on your tax return, see Section A, Explanation of adjustmentor 
  • we were able to refund part of the amount you claimed, but need more information to process the rest. Within 30 days we will send you a letter explaining what we need from you."
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies